I've had this post about blogs floating around in my mind for sometime. The blogosphere is sure an interesting place, and I'm sure there are many students studying it for thesis papers and such. I've been thinking a lot lately about my blogging habits and I've come up with these general rules that apply to me:
1. If I know you in real life I will read your blog. It doesn't matter what you write about, how often you write ect.
2. Anonymous blogs tend to be more interesting. There is something about remaining anonymous that allows a writer to express themselves in such an honest way. Although, I hope people realize that nobody is truly anonymous. I know of two doctors who thought they were blogging anonymously. One (my favorite pediatrician blogger) was outed in pretty devastating way during a malpractice trial, the other was contacted by a business that he mentioned in his blog.
3. I like blogs with strong opinions, even if I don't share them. Only if the writer is intelligent though.
4. I like debate. I love blogs that have great debates and discussions going on in the comments. Real debates, not insults. This goes hand in hand with number three because the debates tend to happen on the blogs with strong opinions.
5. I love to see people blog about things they love. A blogger can make just about any topic interesting if they have a passion for it.
6. I don't like ranting. Occasionally, sure. With good reason, fine. But I've removed several blogs from my bloglines simply because I couldn't take the constant ranting.
7. I don't like to see a lot of clutter on a blog. And, unless the blog averages over 50 comments per post, it bugs me to see advertisements. That's just my personal opinion.
8. I want to see the blog specifics somewhere in the blog title or blogger profile. I like to know right away what the purpose of the blog is, and who is writing it.
9. Pictures really are worth 1000 words. I love to see picture posts. I also love to read lists, and reviews (movies, books or products).
10. If the blogger is pregnant, I want to see a ticker! :D
Those are what I came up with. I would love to hear your thoughts on blogs. What draws you to, or repels you from, a blog?