Thursday, March 08, 2007

Homeschooling on Growing Pains

Last night I caught the second half of a Growing Pains episode where Maggie took Ben out of school and started teaching him at home. I missed the first part of the show so I'm not sure what provoked that decision. Of course they had to touch on the socialization issue. His little sister was worried that if it worked with Ben, she would have to be homeschooled also. "There goes my socialization" she laments. At first Ben resisted out of embarrassment of what his friends would think. In the end,though, he admits he likes it, that he is learning and he likes not feeling stupid (a label he had in school). So they keep doing it.

I was surprised to see this episode for two reasons. One, this show ended 15 years ago when homeschooling was still under the radar. In fact, I don't think they even used the word "homeschool", they simply called it "teaching at home". Two, it was actually a positive portrayal of homeschooling. Another reason to like Growing Pains :D

8 Comments:

Blogger DDanielle said...

I have been watching Growing Pains lately as well. Its always weird to watch shows we watched when we were young. That is surprising that they did a "homeschool" episode.
The last time I watched it, I couldn't believe how HUGE the parents room was. They had a sitting area with a fireplace, and all the way on the other side was their bed.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

what channel does Growing Pains come on? I used to love that show!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

It is on Nick at Nite, and on some ITV, or Ion network here.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Denise,
Yes, their bedroom LOL. And don't forget tribal statue thingees by their bed.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

I think I may have seen that episode before. I used to love growing pains, but haven't seen it in years!!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Me said...

I used to love that show and was happy when Nick started airing it :)

9:09 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I had the biggest crush on Kirk Cameron...I always watched the show!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Jeska said...

Thank you for posting that Amie. I recently pulled Gage out of school for labeling reasons I suppose. He is loving it too. I have not caught that episode, but I hope to see it someday.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home