Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Civility

A while back I was reading a book about George Washington to the boys. It mentioned the 110 Rules of Civility that he was familiar with. This piqued my curiosity so I made a mental note to look them up when I had a chance. I was expecting to find some profound rules, rules that only the elite of the elite followed. Instead, I found things like:

7th Put not off your Cloths in the presence of Others, nor go out your Chamber half Drest.

13th Kill no Vermin as Fleas, lice ticks &c in the Sight of Others, if you See any filth or thick Spittle put your foot Dexteriously upon it if it be upon the Cloths of your Companions, Put it off privately, and if it be upon your own Cloths return Thanks to him who puts it off.

Not quite what I was expecting. You can see all 110 here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kether said...

Someone needs to give that first one to some of the people I see in Walmart.

12:51 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Alot of those I wish we still kept today. People wouldn't be so rude today if those were still in practice. If you think about how people acted back then following those rules and then compare them with today's folks, we looks like pigs! LOL

7:31 AM  
Blogger Jodie said...

Yikes, I need a translator for some of those. :) Thanks for the post - that was interesting!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Risa said...

I came across a website the other day that used some of those for handwriting practice. Those ones you mentioned weren't on the list though! LOL

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home