Thursday, October 25, 2007

Slow Cooker Cont...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketSeveral of you asked for favorite recipes, and I will share one, but I would rather tell you about my cook book! This is my favorite cookbook, in fact it's really the only one I use (I generally use allrecipes.com). This is a cookbook for people who like to provide home-cooked meals for their family but are not particularly adventurous chefs. I like using recipes that call for ingredients I already have in my pantry, and this book is full of them! What I love most about this book is that there are several (sometimes as many as 6 or 7) versions of each recipe. If a recipe calls for a spice or something I don't have, many times another version of the same recipe uses something I do have so I can mix and match.

And here is a recipe for Split Pea Soup that I have recently made twice. I combined three different recipes to suit what I can in the pantry.

1-lb. pkg. split peas
1 lb pre-cooked ham, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 onion, diced
1 rib celery, diced
2 qts. water, with 2 or 3 teaspoons or squares chicken bullion
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
3 potatoes, diced
1 tsp. sugar

Wash and sort split peas, combine ingredients, cook low 8-10 hours.

I should add that you can get this cookbook for as little a $4.00 on amazon (used) and that there are other versions of it such as cooking lightly, for diabetics, 4 ingredient ect...

11 Comments:

Blogger DDanielle said...

I have the same book...it is great, I even use it with my pressure cooker.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

I have that one too! I love it! I really want to try out some of their dessert ideas...YUMMY!

12:51 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I have the Fix it and Forget it Lightly cookbook and I love it. The other day I made chicken tacos. All I had to do was throw in the chicken in the morning (still frozen) and mix taco seasoning and diced tomatoes and put it on top of the chicken. We we were ready to eat I cut up the chicken and we made tacos. So good and easy. I recently got a new cookbook from Southern Living at Home and I LOVE it!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Cool! I've been looking for a good recipe for split pea soup.

3:37 PM  
Blogger kelly jeanie said...

Oh wow, that recipe looks awesome, thanks! I'm definitely going to look for that book.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Jamie,
Thanks for sharing that, I was actually going to email you and find out how you made that. We eat chicken tacos ALL the time, so I was wondering how you made it using the slow cooker.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Me said...

I think I have that book. I just never get a chance to use it or I just plain forget. I think I need to start more :)

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not talking about the same kind of pea soup that mom used to make are you?

7:04 AM  
Blogger DDanielle said...

hmmmmm I think we just may be having chicken tacos tonight. lol

7:38 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Kylie,
I don't know...it's pretty close I guess. What? It wasn't your fav? LOL

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom's pea soup shouldn't be classified as a soup; it was the same texture of oatmeal. Put it this way, I spent many hours at the table when that was served for dinner. Mom still loves that stuff.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home