Thursday, December 21, 2006

Pomander Ball

Even though we started Christmas break this week, we decided to do the art project since it was a Christmas one. I had never heard of a pomander ball before, but it makes a really neat family project. You need one orange (a lemon or lime can work), 2 small jars of whole cloves, and cinnamon. You press the cloves into the orange, it helps to poke a hole first with a toothpick, sprinkle with cinnamon, then let it dry for a few days. After the holidays you can put in a plastic bag and bring it out every year for a great Christmas air freshner. It does smell wonderful! I will warn you that it gets a bit tedious and rough on the fingers pushing those cloves in. Isaac got tired of it real quick, leaving Elijah and I to finish. The author of our art book says they make one every December to add to their collection, which they display in a bowl with pinecones.

This morning I made my last Christmas shopping trip into town! I got some things for the boy's stockings and a few last gifts, so I am officially done with shopping! Now I can finish baking, wrap gifts, listen to some Christmas music, watch a few Christmas movies and just relax and enjoy the boys excitment.

Here are some good illustrated instructions for making a pomander ball, if your interested.
Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Wow, that looks so neat! I've been meaning to do all sorts of art projects but time has just gotten away from me and I'm too tired to do anything but lounge around. Tonight I'm hoping to feel well enough to go shopping for our Christmas dinner and a couple of gifts for our Sunday School party tomorrow. Otherwise I think I am done shopping and it is a relief! I only have a handful of gifts left to wrap and like you, I can just enjoy the kids this season- they are so psyched for Christmas and each day Hannah counts down! I'm sure we'll be up real early that morning!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

I used to make those when I was a kid. They really do smell great. You're right though about the fingers. Those cloves start to hurt after a bit!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Risa said...

I made one of those as a wedding gift one year because the wedding was close to Christmas...and I didn't have any money for a REAL wedding gift! :) Maybe I will have to try that with the kids this year. They might like that!

11:04 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Those things look cool! Someday I'll be able to do those things with Gracie.

Yay for being done with shopping. I'm almost done too!

Oh, how do you get your text to wrap around your pictures? Does it do that automatically?

Merry Christmas!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

That's a really neat idea. I have everything but the cloves. maybe we'll go and get some!! I'm up for anything that makes the house smell good!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Summer said...

We love good smelling stuff around here so that sounds awesome. :)

7:08 PM  
Blogger Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Wow! I have made a lemon studded with cloves to sniff during the Yom Kippur fast--it does help during the long afternoon service. But N'tani and I made the one yo showed today and it smells so good! I am hanging it in my closet.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home