Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Snow and Smocking

We have snow, lots and lots of it. It hasn't been too cold, though, so the boys have been spending plenty of time outside. The best part? The three older boys can completely get themselves ready. I thought that day would never come. Jonah usually stays in with me because he refuses to put snowpants on. And boots. And mittens. And a hat. He is willing to wear a jacket though. Those two years olds, they are always willing to meet you half way.

The reason my blog has sat idle since Saturday? Smocking. I LOVE it. I practiced putting fabric through my pleater several times. The instructions clearly state that if you mess up do NOT try and turn the knob backwards because needles will break. Instead you have to continue putting all the fabric through. Still, when I messed up at first I could not stop myself from turning the knob backwards. It was just like an instinct. A needle did break. So I learned how to both replace needles and ignore my brain when it screams "you made a mistake! Back up! Back up!"

Anyway, the pleating is only the first part. The smocking is the fun part! I'm working on Sadie's Easter dress. Time just flies when I am working on it, I have put several hours in every day. I will probably finish it tonight or tomorrow. I now know why they call it heirloom sewing. When you put this much time into making something, they better cherish it and pass it on. Or else.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Can't wait to see a picture of the dress!!!

11:42 AM  
Blogger kelly jeanie said...

This cracked me up, the part about 2-year-olds meeting you halfway and the heirloom clothing...or else. LOL!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Jodie said...

You and your smocking makes me laugh. I can't wait to see the outcome either. Woo-hoo to having some children who can completely dress themselves!!!! Milestones!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Me said...

I've never heard of smocking :) Sounds nifty though.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I wish we had some snow. We haven't had any this year. Of course, my boys don't get themselves ready yet. What a helpful accomplishment for you. :)

3:25 AM  
Blogger Risa said...

I have to say that I would trade your snow for our cold ANY day! We do have enough snow to play in but not a whole bunch, the only problem is that we haven't had a temp. above the single digits since I don't know how long. It's too cold to go out and play and when I FINALLY give in to their begging and pleading they are back in the house within a half an hour saying it's too cold out. Yesterday Luke was in twice with sock trouble before they both decided to come in and stay in. And when that happens my whole apartment is freezing for an hour until the heat can catch up again!

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home