Friday, September 28, 2007

Tin Can Lanterns

If last weeks art project was a disaster, this weeks made up for it! This was the coolest project! You fill a tin can with water and let it freeze. Take a hammer and nail and pound out a design (and two holes to hold the wire handle). Run hot water to get the ice out, and add a candle! Unless, like me, you think it's crazy to give kids real candles. A few weeks ago, I happened to find little Halloween lights that are made to go in pumpkins so I bought some knowing this project was coming up. They flicker just like candle light. Isaac did a dinosaur design while Elijah and Sam did sharks.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

7 Comments:

Blogger Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Oh, how pretty they are lit! And they somehow remind me of autumn and hayrack rides.

I remember making one when I was in 6th grade. But I had the can upside down while I was making the designs, so when I got the handle on and lit the candle--yep, we didn't have those newfangled lights back in the '60's--my design was upside down! I was so disappointed.

My mom found a new can and I was able to make one at home that was right. All was well, then.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Risa said...

Those are cool! We just might have to try that just for fun! :)

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are awesome! We may have to try that. ;)

6:21 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

WOW, neato!!!
Sadie looks cute w/pierced ears;)

9:19 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Those are awesome!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

What a fun project! They look so cool! Such cute boys too I might add:)

9:07 PM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

very cool! and good call on the pumpkin lights.

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home