Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Socks and More

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingIt didn't take long for some pink to arrive. These little socks arrived via mail from my cousin Sandy. Everytime I see them I just have to smile because there are pink baby socks in my house that are not for somebody else's baby shower.

I think we have our name already too. I think everybody will be surprised. I will give you a hint: It was in a Beverly Lewis book.

I wanted to answer this question that somebody asked in my comments last week:

Here's what you posted back in 2004:
While I would not trade any of our boys for any amount of girls, there are moments where I tell myself "thats it, I'm having babys until I have a girl."
....does this mean you're done after this one? I enjoy reading your blog....and congratulations.


First, I should clarify that we never planned on having babies until we had a girl. That's not what this pregnancy was about, as we had already decided on more than four before we even knew Jonah was a boy. Our family-growing philosophy is sort of in the middle. First, we obviously don't have the "heir and a spare" mentality that is prevalent in our culture. Not that there is anything wrong with two kids, I know many terrific parents who chose to have two. I don't believe for a second that having more kids means your a better parent or you love your kids more. On the other hand, we don't subscribe to the "let God determine the size of your family" philosophy either. For a couple with normal fertility that's kind of like saying "i'm going to eat 5000 calories a day and let God determine my weight". I mean, there is only one way that's going to go right?

The bottom line is we enjoy our larger family, and that is why we are still growing. Not because we feel mandated by God, and not because we were on a quest for a girl. I think we may even it out at six, though I honestly can't see more than that. I can see us doing foster care or adoption thru foster care in the future though when our own kids are older.

18 Comments:

Blogger Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Mazel Tov on the baby girl!

I am one of the parents who had only two, although I wanted more. Evidently, two was the number that was ordained for me.

I am so happy that you are able and willing to have more! Thank-you for your contribution to our world!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

pink socks... awwwwww....

Great thoughts on family size. I, too, see six children, God willing, and I, too, hope to consider foster care later.

2:33 PM  
Blogger DDanielle said...

oh good golly.....this blogger comment.....I just put up the BEST reply EVER.....and of course it got lost.

Anyway the gist is, I know you will be great parents no matter what size of family.

Doesn't it suck that anyone has to justify the size of their family (smaller or bigger)?

Our Friend's Ben (the best man in our wedding) and Joanna are expecting their first child from Ethiopia! They are "due" any day now. I am finding the adoption process so exciting, more exciting than a normal pregnancy just because I don't know what to expect. I am thinking more and more about adopting or fostering, but I am not to sure if Chad would be on the same page.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Denise,
I remember them, and that is so exciting!

I have followed several adoption blogs, and they are so exciting! I was excited to find that Haiti was doing adoptions now, but then saw they exclude families with four or more children (as do many countries).

2:57 PM  
Blogger kelly jeanie said...

Congrats on the pink! Though, I know from reading your blog you'd love another little boy to pieces as well. :) I really hope we end up with a larger family...I sure don't want to stop at one, but we'll see if my body will cooperate, lol. Maybe foster care/adoption is in our future, too.

4:24 PM  
Blogger andria said...

Oh, now I'm jealous and I don't even like pink.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Risa said...

I think I figured out your name... ;) But I don't want to say before you do so maybe I will email you later and find out if I am right! :)

Well put about your large family. I totally agree with you guys and it's good to hear some common sense for a change! :)

I am STILL so excited about a girl...wish I could be there to hug you! :)

6:42 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Risa,
Please do email your guess

6:45 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Oh you'll be seeing a TON of pink :) The little socks are so making me want another one!

As much as I'd love a large family, I don't know if we could handle that many. You decide what's best for all of you and it you're doing a fantastic job.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad someone already sent you something pink. While shopping for a gift for someone els I found the most adorable pink polka dot dress. Not going to send it until closer to your due date though. Who knows what else I may find in my shopping sprees. The baby will not be able to wear it until next fall any hoot.

If you do need clothes let me know. I can give you a ton, Reese was born at the end of May, so most of what I have should be season/age appropriate.

I agree with your plan for a family. Even though I only have two beautiful girls, I feel like that is the right number for us. I am happy with my two. As long as having as a big family makes you happy and fulfilled I am happy for you.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Hendrick Family said...

I don't know how I ended up here...but I'm the mother of four little boys too. Three I gave birth to, one we are fostering. I ditto everything you have said about the size of your family. We have to use wisdom, but we can't forget that people really are God's love language. There is nothing better than investing in a human life. What a neat blog!

10:43 PM  
Blogger DDanielle said...

So, on the way home I was thinking about how you said "I think we may even it out at six"....so, since you already said it, wouldn't it be funny if that 6th pregancy was twins? LOL......well I love irony so its funny to me. Of course you would do just as well with 7:-)

8:18 AM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

I love the idea of fostering or adopting, too. I think that's something I'd like to do myself, down the road a bit. On our local NBC news, they do this thing called "Wednesday's Child" where they profile a different child (or sibling set) in need of adoption every Wednesday. It BREAKS MY HEART each time!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Perfectly Made-up said...

Aww..!! Love the pink sock!!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I can finally see the pink socks! It is so fun to dress up little girls! And you will have double, if not triple the fun after having the boys! Now I will sit here for months wondering which name it is...oh well, that is the fun of it all!

11:13 AM  
Blogger nikko said...

I feel the same way about our family. I get tired of the "are you going to try once more for a girl?" comments!

Hoorah for Pink!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Jeska said...

I loved your comparison of fertility to the the 5000 calorie bet. I had never thought to that before. Nice analogy.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Linsey said...

We will probably end up with one more at the most (total of two), but I think it is wonderful that you want 5, 6, 7 or 8...or 12. That is up to y'all and because you are such great parents, I think it is GREAT!

Congrats on the pink socks, that is just awesome!

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home