Friday, October 08, 2004

Don't judge a book..

A few months ago we purchased a comparative study Bible. It contains four translations (King James, Amplified, New American Standard, NIV) arranged in four columns so you can read and compare the translations.

When we first got the Bible, I told Jeremiah that I didn't like the Amplifed translation because it defines key words in parentheses like this:
And when the chief priests and the Pharisees heard His parables (comparisons,stories used to illustrate and explain), they perceived that He was talking about them. Matthew 21:45

I guess I felt I didn't need words defined for me as if I was a first grader or something. Surprisingly, after reading this Bible for a couple months, I realized a few nights ago that the Amplified has become my favorite translation. I have found that the extra insight into a word can add depth to a verse. I actually appreciate the extra clarification instead of feeling "talked down to" like I anticipated.

Lesson learned? First impressions are not always right.


1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Cool, I've been wanted to get the comparative study Bible. I think now I will.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home