Friday, September 10, 2010

Students

     This Fall, for our homeschool Enrichment Day, I am teaching a Creative Writing class for 6th-12th graders and a Story Writing class for 3rd-5th graders. I'm also teaching gym for 1st and 2nd grade. Since I taught gym last Spring, that is easy and fun.
     What surprised me is that in the Creative Writing class, only one student (out of 14) was willing to share what she wrote during the classroom exercise! One! Obviously, I can't use grades, but I would love to think of something that would work as an incentive for them to share their work.
     That brings me back to the 3rd to 5th graders. They were clamoring to share their work. I had a hard time ending class on time because they all wanted to read (or have me read) what they wrote. What a difference! Kids obviously change a lot in those couple years. It makes me a little sad to think that in a few years, those same kids probably won't want to share either.
    Also, during the Story Writing class, one of the girls (who was probably 10) said that sometimes in her stories Harry Potter is her husband.  I tried so hard to keep a straight face, but I just couldn't. How cute is that.  I really loved that class and I look forward to the next five weeks.  I'm sure the Creative Writing will be fine too, now that I will adjust my expectations.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

How fun! Did you meet Becky or any of her kids yet?

12:11 AM  
Blogger DDanielle said...

awww it is hard to want to share your own work at that age. I always loved writing in school....but it was frightening to share.

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Sandy said...

One idea that you may try (if you haven't already) is having them get in pairs or small groups to share. "Pair and share" is a big teaching method these days, and it helps students who might be reluctant to talk to a group share their thoughts with just one other person.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Sandy, that's sort of what I had them do this past Thursday. They each developed their own character, then I had them pair up so their characters could have dialogues with each other. It seemed to go over good.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home