Thursday, March 05, 2009

Sewing

Enrichment classes started today for our homeschool group. I am helping with two sewing classes. One is for grades 3-5, one for grades 6-12. I really enjoyed this! It was so fun seeing all the different sewing machines that the girls (yes, all girls) brought in. Some were quite old and made me apprciate all the new features on mine. I especially enjoyed helping the younger girls because they were so excited to learn how to use their machines. I imagine this was the first time that many of them had permission to touch the machines. I overheard one girl say "my mom told me not to let my finger even get near the needle!" I'm looking forward to the rest of the classes.

I can't wait until Sadie is old enough to learn how to sew.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruby Red Slippers said...

Hi! I am also in Michigan, and found your blog on Boy Oh Boy.
Love your blog-four boys and one girl? You are a brave woman-and you homeschool??? You are my hero!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Before Zoey got sick, I had just taken the sewing machine the EG got me three years ago out of the box. I was intimidated by it because it has so many extra features unlike the one my mother had when I was a girl.

I know just how those girls feel!

Wish me luck on my curtains.

11:10 PM  
Blogger I Am Boymom said...

What a great idea. I was just telling my sister I need to go take a sewing class, 7th grade home-ec class is kind of fuzzy after so many years. Not sure I could make anything wearable! Kids should learn some basic homemaking skills. Cool homeschooling group!

12:35 AM  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Amie,

Andria sent me your way when I sent up a plea for help on deciding if I should homeschool my eldest (10 years old). I am completely unsure as to how I should go about beginning here. And who I should contact and what I should say and EVERYTHING! Any advice you have would be really appreciated!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the sound of those classes! My mother NEVER let us near her machine - well, once, and she was sorry... So her grandmother handed down to her the beautiful art of sewing, and there it stayed, with her, and never to be with us. Bit of a shame, really, as my mother sews very well. Good on you for passing on your skills, and being keen to share it with Sadie. Funny thing is, my Eli is keen about sewing, and my mum has taken the time to show him things as she does them... oh, well, so it skipped a generation... at least it IS being shared!!!;) Have a great day.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home