Thursday, February 26, 2009

Some School Stuff

  • Today, I signed the boys up for their Spring enrichment day classes. I remember back in December when they said Spring classes wouldn't start until March. It seemed SO FAR away and now we start next week already!
  • The boys all started new math books last week. I know I have said it before, but I really like Math-U-See. It has worked very well for us so far.
  • A friend let us borrow Boggle Jr. This is a great game! It's basically just spelling words but it feels like a game so the boys love to play it.
  • The boy's Spanish class is going really well. I love the approach their teacher uses. It's so different than when I took Spanish in school (which I'm sure is because I took it in high school). She just has them play games, games, games but it works!
  • I learn something new myself just about everyday. Even the first grade geography book was full of stuff I didn't know. For instance, I did not know there was "chunnel" that connected England and France or what a "fjord" was.
  • Earlier, Isaac was writing a story and looking up words in his dictionary. For fun. That felt like some kind of milestone to me.

7 Comments:

Blogger I Am Boymom said...

Do you homeschool? It sounds like things are going great and your whole family is learning alot. I need to do something different, mine are not diggin' school too much lately. We love Boggle!

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boggle is the best! I was so rapt when Eli learnt to play!!! Pity we weren't in closer proximity (!!!) to one another - our boys would have a blast together, I'm sure (and they would be sweet on Sadie, too!). I love that I am learning things along the way with Home-Schooling that I otherwise wouldn't have learnt... Have a lovely weekend...

4:53 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I love MUS too. I really need to get on the ball and order new books as I could start Gabe on it and Hannah's almost done with hers. Josiah's just taking his sweet ol' time but that's ok!

Isn't it awesome when they start doing things (like writing stories) on their own for fun? I love seeing them 'take' their learning into their play!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

I LOVE boggle! It's addicting. My oldest is just dying to beat me at it someday! Sounds like things are going really well with school!

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amie, this post made me really excited for the school age! thanks for delighting in each stage your boys are at...
jenni

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when I was in 4th grade. I would finish my work early and my teacher would let me go to the back of the room where there was an unabridged, giant dictionary that I could thumb through. You go, Isaac!
Andy

6:55 PM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

I have taken the train through the Chunnel several times. It's called the Eurostar. It's pretty posh. Apparently if you ride in first class they even feed you, but I wouldn't know about that. :-)

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home