Friday, January 18, 2008

Root beer!

Instead of an art project today, we did a chemistry experiment. We made root beer, and it does involve chemistry. My sister got us a make-your-own-root beer kit for Christmas and the boys have been so patiently waiting to make it (if by patient you mean asking 10 times a day when we are going to make root beer). Anyway, it was fun and the kit even came with a booklet to help explain the chemical reaction that occurs between the yeast and sugar. It can take days, or even weeks for the root beer to be ready so I made sure the boys understood this before we started. Of course, Jonah still didn't understand and you can see in the picture that he wants his bottle opened NOW.

A bonus is that our house now smells pleasantly of root beer.

Photobucket

I will be drawing a name for the quilt this evening, you still have a few hours to get in!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jodie said...

That sounds fun! I'm going to go and see if I can find a root beer making kit online.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

I added a link to the one we used.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amie, That sounds like so much fun to make your own Root Beer. Kelsey loves Root Beer and she would do projects all day if I let her. I also don't know how you find the time to do all the things you do with your kids. I applaud you.

Kristin ( Kelsey's Mom from the OB )

3:20 PM  
Blogger Jodie said...

Thanks for the link!:)

3:32 PM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

very clever! hope it tastes good.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

Can you add my name, I didn't even see the drawing??? Thanks

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! I've seen those kits but never thought of trying them out. :) I might have to add it to my list now.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I remember having homemade root beer when I was little, so good.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I do homeschool. I am doing first grade and pre-k with my two oldest.

I'll be back to check out your other stuff. It's always nice to find some homeschool (and mommy of many) support.

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home