Friday, February 02, 2007

February

A few months ago I checked out The Thief of Always by Clive Barker from the library. I'm not really sure why I decided to, and it quickly became apparent that it wasn't a book I was going to finish. However, the very first paragraph stuck in my head. Growing up in the U.P, February was always such a boring, dreary, freezing cold month. It was just one more thing to get thru before Spring. The best part about February is how short it is! I guess that's why I enjoyed the imagery in this passage:

The Great Gray beast February had eaten Harvey Swick alive. Here he was, buried in the belly of that smothering month, wondering if he would ever find his way out through the cold coils that lay between here and Easter.
He didn't think much of his chances. More than likely he'd become so bored as the hours crawled by that one day he' simply forget to breath.

- The Thief of Always by Clive Barker


A very memorable passage from an otherwise not-for-me book.

1 Comments:

Blogger Risa said...

Yup! That sums it up quite nicely! I really don't miss Feb. up there, it's nice not having much snow - except when I want to send the kids out to play! I don't think I would trade back for even a week of snow days though! :)

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home