Monday, January 16, 2006

Dreams and Whatnot

Friday morning I had a chipped filling replaced. Friday night I had a dream that the tooth fell out. I was trying and trying to find my dentist's number to call her. (This always happens in my dreams, I can't find something i'm looking for, can't get somewhere i'm trying to get to). As i'm searching for her number, the tooth that just had a root canal last month fell out. Than a tooth on the other side fell out. It was an incredibly real dream where I could feel the spaces left in my gum and everything.

So Saturday I decided to look up some dream interpretations (not that I put stock into that, just curious) to see what it supposedly means when you dream you are losing teeth. According to many sites, this is one of the most common dreams people inquire about. There was a wide range of opinions, but the one that kept popping up the most was worry about appearance. Now, I felt a little offended because i'm not a slob but I don't think I worry about my appearance anymore than the average person.

Than yesterday, I glanced at my library books and had to laugh. Among them are What Not to Wear and Does This Make Me Look Fat? So maybe on the surface it seems I might be worried about appearance. However, I didn't seek those books out. They were simply next to the sewing books and I thought they would be fun to look thru with my friends.

For the record, I think the dream was just a result of a lot of dental work this past month, maybe mixed with some anxiety.

Also, since this is supposed to be a common dream, has anybody else dreamt they were losing teeth?

9 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

I don't remember having any dreams relating to teeth falling out. I bet it is just due to the fact that you've had your share of dental work lately! Hopefully those teeth don't really fall out;)

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, the dream was probably related to the dental work you just had. If you would have said you had the dream and no issue relating to dental work done them maybe I would think differently. Most of my dreams are related to what happened that day or what the last thing I watched on TV. Now I try to watch some kind of comedy before going to bed just so I don't have nightmares.

7:37 PM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

You are too funny - No, I don't recall ever having a dream where my teeth fell out...
But I agree with Kim. If I watch a movie that scares me, I have nightmares, so no more scary movies for your's truly - no way!

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope. But I've dreamt I lost all my hair! Aaaieee!

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had dreams where my teeth were falling out! (Must run in the family?!) I've read that those dreams indicate that you feel like something in your life is out of control, and that fit with what was going on with me then. But, who knows?

12:20 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

How funny that we're both wondering about our wierd dreams. I would much prefer having my teeth fall out vs the attack from the spider from hell that I had last night! hee hee!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Jeska said...

I had a dream several years ago about losing teeth. I looked it up then and I beleive it said something about anxiety, which i have a lot of.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

I have never had a dream about teeth falling out. All my dreams are either about being chased by dogs, or spiders or something of that nature. Lately though, my dreams have been pretty sparatic, and very very strange. Yeah, I would have to say a dream of my brother stabbing his wife in the neck was pretty weird lol

10:29 AM  
Blogger Gary &amp said...

mmmm a brother?.. Gary? mmmmm..a wife? me?? LOL too funny! lol

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home