Saturday, October 15, 2005

The Other Side...

A few days ago I wrote about a positive aspect of homeschooling. Every choice has its cons also and now I will tell you about one of the downsides (at least to me) of homeschooling: empty house envy.

Over the last couple years more and more of my friend's children have started school. Some of my friends now have ALL their children in school. Like when I go to the mall to meet Melissa and she only has two kids in tow. Only other moms of three or more children understand that taking two kids is actually a break ( taking one is a vacation, seriously). Even though Melissa is expecting her 4th baby, her son will be starting school next year so she will still have days where she can get out with only two!

I would be lying if I said I didn't daydream about what it would be like to send the kids to school. Understand, I am not dreaming about lounging on the couch or watching soaps or something. No, I wonder what it would be like to actually clean your living room and have it stay that way for...oh...two minutes? Or getting laundry folded and put away before its unfolded. You know, stuff like that.

I just remind myself that at the end of my life I will not look back and say "geez I wish I spent less time with my kids to clean my house".

3 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

I often wonder what it would be like to be home with just the two boys with Hannah off to school. To be able to spend time with just the boys, doing only boy things. I wonder what it would be like to see her get on and off of the bus. I wonder at how quiet our house would be if/when all the little ones were in school. What would I do with myself? My house would be cleaned and then what? What would I find to do that would have meaning while staying at home? And I come back to the same conclusion...there is nothing as meaningful to me as to be able to stay home and teach my own children and to be with them, nurture them, love and comfort them like only a mama can do.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!

I try to hide in my room with the door shut when I fold laundry... That of course means I have to do it during Torrin's nap and at a time when Aidan and Kieran are adequately entertained!

Last week I got the downstairs (living, family and dining rooms) all picked up and vacuumed. That of course left exposed all the stains and pathways of high traffic areas. I have a lovely red can of Resolve High Traffic Foam sitting on my counter waiting to be sprayed! I said "I'm going to spray the carpet after the kids go to bed." It has to dry before you vacuum again. Yeah... by the time they went to bed, I'd have had to pick up all over again in order to do that!! I swear, I'll just sit and stare at that can and daydream about stain removal forever....

5:30 PM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

I sometimes envy those who have the patience and stamina to be homeschooling parents!! But I do LOVE when summer break is over and I get to send Olivia on that bus and off to school! lol I still have to deal with Zachary though, and this new baby that's on the way, but it is still nice to be able to spend that 1 on 1 time with Zachary. I give you much khudos for doing what you do with all 4 boys in toe!!!

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home