Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Educating at Home*

I wish the homeschool pioneers (well, they are less pioneers and more parents simply taking back their children's education from the gov't as it used to be) would of chosen the term "educate" instead of "school". Read the definition for school and you basically get the words institution and instruction. A child who can submit and follow instructions will no doubt do well in school, however, that doesn't mean that child will be educated to his/her potential. Following an instruction doesn't mean you understand what you are doing or why.

Read the definition of educate and you get phrases such as bring to understanding, provide knowledge ect. You can be schooled without being educated, you can be educated without being schooled. People who are educated are people who love to learn, they want to learn. That is what we are working hard to do with Isaac these first couple years, instill the love of learning in him. I really think school breaks that in some children, especially boys. I saw it in my brothers, and in my nephew. Even if a little boy does like school, that would probably be considered "uncool" with his peers.

Last week we made a very unceremonious start to homeschooling. I got out Isaac's phonics program and we started. And he took off. This is why I am so glad we choose this route. I immediately know when he grasps a concept so he can move on. I immediately know when he doesn't grasp a concept so we can focus on that until the light bulb goes on. No time is wasted. The process if fluid, we can makes changes in an instant, we can take breaks whenever necessary and nobody has to ask permission to go to the bathroom.

*My homeschooling posts are in no way meant to offend those who don't (including my best friends here who send their kids to school). However, I do belong to a homeschool blogring and part of the reason I started this blog was to write about homeschooling. Obviously, we feel strongly about our choice and that will come out in my writing. Please know that we do not feel it makes us better, just that its the right choice for us.

9 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Well said, no offense taken here! :D It sounds like things are going great and you're all doing a good job, keep it up.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well written Amie! It really made me think. Sadly, you're right about boys in school, at least until college and by then... As parents,I think we all hope to instill a sense of pride and love into our children to overcome peer pressure. Boys/girls it does not really make much difference, all face scrutiny in some way. My girls are still way to young but I worry about body image and what effect society will have on them. I pray by teaching my girls now how to accept themselves for who they they will hold their head high and be the beautiful people I know they are.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amie,
I am thinking of starting a blog myself and I am just checking out random blogs to get a feel for how different people do it. I am a former teacher, so I know first hand about the problems of "schooling" vs. "educating." I was impressed and inspired by your words and your mission. I do not have children, but I hope to someday and though I had never considered "home-educating," when it comes time I think I will think back to what you said. The kind of educating you do is nearly impossible in a classroom with 30 students. I saw so many children in my classes who were struggling due to lack of love and support from their parents; your children are clearly blessed.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

I say more power to you!! If I had the patience and if I didn't suck so much in school myself I might try to take something like that on, but unfortuately I am not good with that kind of stuff! My husband helps Olivia with her math and history, and I help her with her english and spelling!! lol Ughhh, I hate math!!!

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One-on-one learning is so much more efficient, as you are finding out already. I've tutored math for many years and have now taught math in a university classroom for four semesters, and I could sometimes do in one hour of tutoring what would take a week or two to do in class. It is a different experience! It would be great if we had resources for everyone to get a lot of one-on-one instruction. I think it's a more effective and motivating setup for the student AND for the teacher! I absolutely loved tutoring.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

It sure IS nice to be able to sit and teach them until they grasp it instead of just moving on as in a normal school setting. I am sure I will have to take a totally different approach with Josiah when it comes to educating than I am with Hannah. It's that difference between boys and girls! Your post was very well written and thought provoking! I like the fact that Hannah gets to learn about God and the Bible in 'school'. That is something I never had the opportunity to do.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Me said...

I wish I could be able to do something like that, but, like Heather, I have no patience for that kind of thing, nor can I stay at home to be able to do it. I say whatever floats your boat. I'm sure you're doing a fabulous job.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

great blog, question on homeschooling tho, do you think your children will be at a disadvantage in not having mixed with other children, and do you think there will be any conflict when they are older about things that as a mother u do not want them to know, but as a teacher u want them to know to be informed young adults?

7:44 PM  
Blogger 4funboys said...

Good of you to clarify...

the distinction noted.

I'm a public school 1st grade teacher... sho spent about $2700 a month last year for my 4boys to go to a private Christian school.

This coming year... I'll be homeschooling my 4th grader.

Every child is as different as their needs...

Good for you to recognize and meet your child's need!!!

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home