Thursday, September 15, 2005

Society and Babies

Blest with sons wrote a very good post recently about birth control and society's attitute toward babies. I have to agree. When its just me and Jonah out and about people always smile sweetly, however, when all four of the boys are with me those same smiles become eye rolls. Instead of a sweet little baby he becomes "OMG, another one?" Not that we care, I mean we pretty much go against the grain in everything.

I remember when my younger brother was born, I was so excited. I told everybody about my new baby brother. When I told the playground supervisor at school she said "there is five kids in your family now?" She said it with such distain and I remember that was the first time I realized that babies are not always seen as something to celebrate. It was a very sad thing to learn.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

You know, why anyone thinks they need to have a thought or say in anyone elses life is beyond me.
Btw~it's funny you had a large family growing up and went on to have your own large family.
Everyone I know who had a large family growing up has only 1 or 2. But then again, those who were only children have 3 or 4.
I'm amazed at your strength though.
I'm exhausted with 2!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. I get those same looks, even the ultrasound tech acted shocked we were on number 4. It made me feel weird, but why should I feel weird. People need to mind their own business. If we want more kids we are gonna have them no matter what people say :D

9:32 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Jennifer, I notice the same thing with kids of large familys (including my siblings),although,maybe its just a result of the overall trend of having smaller familys than being raised in a large family.

Melissa,
You might even get more attitude than me considering you already have a girl and boy. Most people just assume we just keep trying to have a girl.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Me said...

I think a lot of it is just because the standard these days tends to be like 1 or 2 kids. 4 or 5 is WAAAAYY too many for people. I, myself, would like 4 or 5. I grew up with 5, so that doesn't phase me at all.

I say just keep a'goin' and say screw you to those people :)

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home