Friday, September 02, 2005

Big "F" for FEMA

Its been disturbing at best to watch the slow response to the people of New Orleans. This is the USA??? We can't get water to people in 90 degree heat?? Water?? I don't believe this has anything to do with lack of money, it is unorganization, bad management and bad leadership. Were talking about a city known as a "bowl", where was the plans for a disaster like this? What if a levee had broken on any old day when 80% of the city wasn't already evacuated?

I can't describe the frustration watching people on tv, moms with tiny babies, elderly, getting no water, no food, no direction, no help. Dead bodies of people who made it to dry land only to die of other causes. I saw a story about two FOX News employees who did not stop flagging down cars until they finally got help for a 5 day old baby who was starting to dehydrate. I couldn't believe as a Salvation Army volunteer explained that they were not allowed into the city, when he was asked why they weren't helping.

Finally, a convoy arrived this morning. Five days later.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I certainly don't claim to know where all the errors lie... but I posted a link to a Louisiana report which showed that they most certainly DID know exactly how bad a Hurricane hit on NO would be - even down to which neighborhoods of people were likely to refuse to evacuate. I think a lot of the blame lies with the local government.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

I tend to agree with with blest. It is so horrific to watch the news and all, it is a bad reminder of 911 and the tsunami, and the news is tending to lean towords all the bad instead of ever focusing on some of the good that is happening. I agree more can be done, but I also believe the local government should have been more prepared in their own right. It's a very sticky situation, and so much sadness is coming from it, no doubt everyone agrees that it is a big tragedy.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Kether said...

I agree. The local government knew and didn't seem to have a plan other than calling for help. Not that they shouldn't have called for help, but it seems like they knew every detail of what would happen and yet there was no local plan, at least no plan that worked...

8:05 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

I agree, the bad leadership extends down to the local level. I know that California cities are equipped to feed people for three days in case of a major earthquake, you would think New Orleans in the very least would of been prepared to do that.

However, FEMAs sole purpose of existense is for situations like this and I think they totally failed.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is just so hard to know what's going on. My mom saw a national news report where the reporter was moaning and wailing about the lack of aid. Then the local news came on and pointed out that the aid was there -right outside of town - but couldn't get into the town because of the violence. It's a mess beyond all comprehension. That's the only thing we know for certain.

But yeah, Amie, you've got a point there.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Ditto to all Heather said. It is such an unfortunate and sad tragedy. All I can do is pray and give all I can to the cause.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home