Saturday, June 25, 2005

The Countdown Begins...

One month from today is my due date! I can hardly believe it, seems like I was just writing a post about it being three months from my due date. This time next month my whole labor and delivery could be behind me or I could be one irritable pregnant woman. We'll see...

Yesterday, I truly felt like the worst mom ever. I had some Hershey's Hugs* and I gave Sammy one. He has been eating a couple M&M's here and there with no reactions, so I let him try one. He ate it and we had no problems. He took a nap, and woke up with a diaper rash (the child has been eating nothing but fruit). I did two things as I changed his diaper, I gave him another candy ( it melted all over his hand) and I sprayed Dermoplast on his diaper rash. Dermoplast is something that numbs the skin a bit, good for sunburns and stuff. The hospital gives it out after you have a baby for your perinium area. After his diaper was changed I cleaned up his hands. We said good bye to Tanya and her girls who had spent the afternoon with us. I saw Sammy's face starting to puff up, and hives starting to break out. By the time I got the Benedryl his face was extremely swollen and he had hives on his arms and chest. This was the fastest I have ever seen him react to anything, for the first time ever I actually had the epi-pen in my hand ready to use. I was starting to feel a little panicky, as Jeremiah was gone with our vehicle. Finally, the Benedryl did it's magic. Now, the question is did he react from the candy that melted in his hand (which I feel terrible for giving to him), or was it the Dermoplast (Benzocaine). He had no hives on the area I sprayed it, yet ate none of the candy.

*I made a very bad assumption without reading the label that white chocolate is different than milk chocolate as Hugs are mostly white chocolate. White chocolate also has milk in it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Wow! One month already. I still can't believe it. It seems like yesterday you were telling us you had a BFP. Time flies.

No you're not a bad mom, not a bad mom at all. You were ready for action if need be and you responded quick with the benadryl. Sounded like to me you were in total control of the situation, as scary as it was.

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't believe it is already a month away! I am hoping we will be able to stop by on our way back down south so we can meet this new nephew and Sammy. We have yet to meet Sammy!!! And you are not a bad mom. Thankfully you had Benedryl and were able to give it in ample time to help. I can't believe how bad poor Sammy's allergies are! Looks like the boys had a fun time yesterday (or at least Isaac with the girls).

2:41 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Oh poor little guy! Ditto to Melissa....you're not a bad mommy at all. Things happen and you knew exactly what to do!

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home