Wednesday, April 04, 2007

From the Hospital...

Hi, I was told there was no wireless here, but I turned on the laptop to watch a movie and apparently there is!

I just wanted to give you all the details. Really, what else is there to do here?...
I don't think I mentioned that my ultrasound on Monday was to make sure my blood pressure wasn't affecting her growth. Honestly, I hardly gave this a second thought, to me it was just a reason to make sure she was still a girl! Anyway, yesterday I had an appointment with my midwife and the ultrasound reports shows that she is behind on her growth, and something or other with cord pressure, and it appears that my bp is affecting her. I was told I would need another ultrasound next week and we would go from there.

Yesterday evening, I decided to check my blood pressure. It was high. So, I rested on my left side for several hours and took it again. Higher. So...I slept on my left side a few hours (the best thing you can do to bring bp down) and took it again. Higher. I really thought it was my monitor, I even changed the batteries. By this point I was pretty concerned but it was 3:00 a.m., so I went back to sleep. When I woke up this morning it was even higher. The bottom number was over 100, and I had been instructed to call if that ever happened.

So, I called. Expecting for her to have me come in so she could check it. I was still hoping it was just my monitor. After consulting with an OB she wanted me to go to the hospital. So, i'm thinking I would go to the hospital have it checked and all would be fine. After two blood pressure readings, the nurse actually put up the rails on my bed and padded them with blankets "in case of a seizure". I also had protein in my urine. My blood pressure does come down when I'm lying on my side, so that is how I have to stay.

This is what we know and what we don't:

I'm not going full term. The OB said she would be happy if I get to 36 weeks.
I'm having two steroid shots that help mature her lungs in case she is born soon.
A neonatologist is going to be talking to me to let me know what to expect if she is born soon.
I *might* get to go home on bedrest if everything looks perfect. (Perfect being my 24 hour urine check doesn't show higher protein, and all my blood labs come back normal, my blood pressure stabalizes, and the baby doesn't show any signs of falling even more behind on growth)
I *might* be her until the baby is born.
We are not sure when that is going to be.
I'm having another ultrasound tomorrow.
The baby does fine on the monitor.

It's a whole lot of what if's and let's see. So thats it's. And its boring.

17 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

Wow, what a scare to keep watching your bp rise! I hope everything goes according to the Dr.'s plan and you are able to go to at least 36 weeks. Try not to get too bored in the hospital:) My prayers are with you.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hugs* I hope you don't have to stay in the hospital until the baby is born, but most of all, of course, we all hope for healthy baby and Mom, so whatever is best...

Let us know what we can do from afar to help and to entertain you!

Sending lots of love and prayers.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My prayers are with all of you. I don't know what an aunt can do from this distance but if there is anything at all please let me know.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

((Amie)) So sorry to hear about these complications! I will keep you and your lil one in my prayers! Get plenty of rest and I hope to see a really great update soon...lots of good news!

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not boring, Amie! Goodness, you're dealing with a lot. I hope you and your family are coping alright. I'm praying for all of you!

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scary.. I hope everything turns out okay. Theres not many words of comfort since there is so much uncertainty. Your all in our thoughts and prayers.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Oh wow! I'm glad you're all alright, but how scary still!! Hope you get to go home soon and you and baby stay well!!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

oh no! Amie, I hope everything is OK and I will be thinking of you. This happened to my cousin (high blood pressure, pre-eclampsia, etc) in January and her baby was born in March, and he's healthy now! I hope you don't have to stay in the hospital as long as she did (nearly two months) but I hope you have as favorable an outcome.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Hi Amie. I had Eric at 32 weeks and they also gave me steroids to develop his lungs a couple of days before. I was in the hospital for 4 days and then they sent me home for bed rest and I was back the next day and he was delivered by emergency c-section because I had placenta abruptus(which they hadn't realized). He ended up staying in NICU for 8 days afterward because he was so early but he 4 lbs 15 oz when he was born and was 19 inches so he was a good size.

So...anything could happen at this point. Be prepared! I hope everything goes smoothly for you and you are in my thoughts and prayers!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Kether said...

Amie,
I am praying for you! May God guide the doctors, nurses, your family and you through this process.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Risa said...

I will be praying for you and your family. Hope everything gets better from here! :)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

Yikes! I am praying that all goes well, they get your bp down, and the baby stays healthy!! Hugs to you all!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Amie, I know we've never met, but I feel like I know you. Please know that I will be praying for you and your little sweetpea. And for the boys (hubby included) in general - with mom away (or even home on bedrest), they will need prayer just as much. Keep us posted.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi amie,, i'm praying for u and the baby, i'll be down to help as soon as i get home,, if u need bed rest, i'll be there to help. but it won't be until around the 15th or so,, i wish i was there already,, love mom

4:27 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

hi amie,
all of you are in my prayers!!! i am sure everything will be fine. It sounds like you have a good crew taking care of you both.
this would be perfect timing for quilting, crochet and/or knitting.
thanks for the updates and all of God's blessings to you guys!!!

4:37 PM  
Blogger andria said...

That's a girl for ya...all kinds of drama!

I wish we lived closer so I could help out with your boys (even though we've never met and that might be creepy, but I know you're concerned about them).

My first was born at 31 weeks, 5 days. I see you are close to that. He was breathing on his own without the steroid shots and stayed in the NICU 3 weeks. I think your baby will do fine, just worried about you. The hospital is the best place for you right now so they can monitor everything.

I cannot believe you might have a baby before me.

Lots of thoughts and prayers your way. Good Luck.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh Amie,
This is all so scary!
I hope your BP stays down and you can deliver a little later.
Brings back so many memories!
Big hugs to you!!

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home