Sunday, January 22, 2006

Cheese and Coincidence

Samuel understands that he cannot eat cheese. One day he picked up an empty can of Pam cooking spray and asked "Can I eat this?"

"Of course not" I said. (In my mind i'm thinking 'cooking spray??what a weird child I have.')

"Why?" he asked "does it have cheese on it?"

So, he does understand that cheese if off limits. He knows he can't eat pizza. However, we will pick things off the pizza and give them to him. Which is why he must of thought it was a logical thing to stick his face in the (not hot at all) pizza to pull the ham off with his teeth thereby avoiding the cheese. Unfortunately, he didn't avoid touching the cheese with his face, causing hives to break out!

Yesterday I talked to my sister for the first time in a month. Turns out she bought the exact same teach-yourself-to-knit book that I did recently and is also learning to knit! How funny is that. Neither of us had any idea. She wants to learn to knit so she will have something to do with her hands when she attempts to quit smoking.

So there you go, two totally random things united only by the title.

5 Comments:

Blogger Choppzs said...

What a smart boy Sammy is!! It's amazing the stuff they pick up and learn from just hearing us talk and stuff. I would be in tears if I couldn't eat cheese, I LOVE cheese!! lol sounds really good right now too!! lol pizza too!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

How unreal that even by touching the cheese the poor guy broke out. I don't know what my kids would do without dairy products...they love them! How funny that your sister is learning to knit as well, and from the same book at that! It is such a common thing nowadays though.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Risa said...

I got that knitting book - but it didn't do anything for me but confuse me so I took it back. :( Luke is like Sammy too, he knows he can't have cheese and always asks if there is milk in something new before he eats it. Although he won't get hives from touching the cheese but he usually ends up with a pretty nasty ear infection from it. But since he has been on the milkfree diet this winter, he hasn't had one! And he usually gets a couple of them every winter.

7:06 PM  
Blogger ~cjoy said...

Interesting about the cheese--it appears my daughter (just about to turn one) reacts the same way to dairy (she also appears to be allergic to carrots. Go figure.). I tested this by touching a slice of cheese to her upper cheek and she got a few hives around her lips (?!). She got hives with plain yogurt, cheese and margarine (accidentally in food we gave her...). This is totally new to me, and I could live on dairy, but I have a feeling a new world is about to open up. Could you share some insights? Or have you already, and I missed them? :)

11:15 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

cjoy,
I know that that the thought of a special diet is overwhelming, I know I was overwhelmed at first! First we found some staples that were safe and that he loved. Pasta, Rice milk, fruit, baked beans and chicken were some. Than we made sure to keep lots of those on hand while we learned what else he could eat. After awhile we really got used of it and now its just second nature, and Sammy is learning himself about his own allergies.

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home