Friday, October 29, 2004

I always suspected I was a nerd...

I mentioned a few weeks ago that we are going thru Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University at church. I am really enjoying it and last week I found why. Turns out I am the "financial nerd" in our marriage and Jeremiah is the "financial free spirit". Those are actual terms that Dave Ramsey used by the way, I'm not making it up.

The "nerd" loves to do budgets, spreadsheets, cash flow charts ect. That's definitely me, last year I used Microsoft Money to keep track of where we were spending our money. I loved the pie-chart that showed what percentage of your money is going where. Anyways, after doing about 1o pages of budgets and cash flow charts, I'm happy to announce all areas of our budget fall into or below the recommended percentage (for instance its recommended that no more that 35% of your take home pay go towards housing - including maintenance ). I was not surprised to learn that we spend much less on clothing and recreation than recommended.

Jeremiah, the free spirit, glances at all these pages of numbers and says "yup, looks good".

I really do recommend this class, its extremely informative and really helps you set up a financial plan. To quote Dave Ramsey " If you don't have control of your money, it has control of you."

3 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

I'd have to say that I'm with you in being the "nerd". I'm the one that does the budget, checkbook, bills....blah blah blah. Ryan is very much the "free spirit" and just agrees with most of what I say in regards to our finances. They say that money/finances are one of the #1 issue that couples argue about. I'm happy to say that Ryan and I are not one of them....and it sounds like you two aren't either :)

12:05 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

I'm the nerd as well, and at times a free spirit. My dh was always the free spirit but he's changed a lot over time. He's gone from the "yep, looks good" like your dh to actually remembering to tell me that he needs new work boots put into the budget.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that Dave's stuff is working out for you. My wife and I just attended his live event this last weekend, and we'r egoing to start the program as soon as my Wife is back to work from maternity leave.

The hard part for her I think will be realizing that I am actually a nerd as much as she is. I have always acted the part of the free spirit, but love spreadsheets and budgeting (I'm an ex-CPA). I think that My wife will not be to easy going when I start playing a more active role.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home