Wednesday, October 20, 2004

If Raising Children Isn't Important Work, What Is?

Its so nice to know that Teresa Heinz Kerry, possibly our next first lady, doesn't consider raising kids an important job.

Asked how she would be different from Mrs. Bush if Kerry won the Nov. 2 election, Heinz Kerry said: "Well, you know, I don't know Laura Bush. But she seems to be calm, and she has a sparkle in her eye, which is good. But I don't know that she's ever had a real job -- I mean, since she's been grown up."

In a statement put out later by the Kerry campaign, Heinz Kerry said she had
forgotten Mrs. Bush's work as a teacher and librarian, "and there couldn't be a
more important job than teaching our children."

"I appreciate and honor Mrs. Bush's service to the country as first lady, and am sincerely sorry I had not remembered her important work in the past," Heinz Kerry's statement said.

So, apparently, raising her children would not be considered important work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

It's telling isn't it? The subtle put-downs toward those stay-at-home moms that do so much for our society as a whole.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I agree with Andrea and I think we have the Best job/career ever. Our work continues for the rest of our lives. There is no retiring for us moms.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home