Sunday, September 10, 2006

All Quiet on the Boystory Front

So I guess things have been quiet around here. Lately, I have been packing a lot into my day and my blog is feeling the repercussion.

Next month we are taking a trip South, and by South I mean SOUTH. We are having a good time planning it, and I can't wait for next month!

Isaac's first week of homeschooling was both good and bad. Phonics and Math are going really good, and he almost always wants to do extra work in these subjects. He is sounding out words with so much more ease this year. He loves to learn about the animals in his Nature reader. However, bring out the History and Science and his eyes glaze over. I can't blame him because mine do to. I'm going to be searching for some supplements to these subjects. After all, our goal is not to simply plod thru some texts, but to ignite genuine interest and desire to learn these subjects.

Jonah has finally decided that walking might be something he wants to do. This boy had no interest in walking what-so-ever. He could stand by himself all day long, but would never attempt a step. I figured being our fourth, he would of been walking well before a year, but nope he decided to be our latest walker. I love seeing how excited the other boys get when he takes a step. Judging by them, you would think he was the first baby ever to start walking.

Robin Cook has a new book out, and I really really want to read it, but i'm going to wait for our trip.

I think i'm ready to start making my own clothes patterns. I'm really excited about this and I keep asking Jeremiah what he is going to do next year when i'm gone for Project Runway :D

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Different hands-on type museums around the country may have some fun science activities detailed on their websites. The Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum has this page http://www.aahom.org/educators/resources.htm and the amazing Exploratorium in San Francisco offers this page http://www.exploratorium.edu/educate/index.html

As for history, I think that's harder for a kid his age. History didn't really grab me until I was in college and had a prof who made sure to tell us what someone our age would have been doing at the different time periods we were studying. Somehow that kind of connection made a big difference. Maybe there are some resources for what a child's life was in different times in history?

I'm excited about your making patterns!!! And of course, Jonah walking! And your trip south! That was a lot to cover in one post! :-)

8:09 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

We cannot wait until you come south! Oh what fun that will be!!!

My kids love the Nature Reader. Even Gabe sits and listens to it. That is rare- that boy sits for nothing. There are so many wonderful websites that you could supplement with. Maybe find different hands-on projects to do with what you are talking about? Or when talking about the colonies or something hop online and show him pictures, virtual tours of things, etc... I often look for pictures to show Hannah different things. I know boys are SO different than girls as far as learning goes. Josiah would not be able to sit still for all that Hannah does!

Hannah didn't walk until she was almost 16 months old. Of course, you'd think with being your 4th he'd walk sooner. But, maybe his older brothers entertain him and he is too interested in them! How cool that he's finally taking steps- and that he has a cheering squad!!!

I was just telling my friend about your sewing projects. That's absolutely awesome- you go girl!

So now that I wrote a book for comments I will close...

9:29 PM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

hum, I'm trying to think of what we did for history in school, and I think it was more like social studies until about high school... so maybe like what Sandy said, and have him learn about kids his age in different time periods? I remember doing that in elementary school - we had to make up stories about our ancient Roman alter ego...

science, I'm no help.

where are you going in the South?

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the update on what is going on. have fun going to warmer weather!

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Queen Amie!
I stumbled upon your blog today while researching who knows what. Anyway, you are hereby invited to check out your on line Queendom, oh royal Mother of Boys!
enjoy!
Queen Linda
www.itsgoodtobethequeen.com

1:46 PM  
Blogger Risa said...

My kids don't like History either...but wherever we go we try to visit at least one historical place and though they don't know they are learning I often refer to the places we've been when we talk about different things in history. Or the other day we had to stand up at an event for the National Anthem and they didn't really understand why but when I reminded them that it was written at Fort McHenry, where we visited with Uncle Levi, Jozie's face lit up and you could see her wheels turning!:) It's great to see your kids learning when they don't even know they are! :)

Oh! We are south! :) I hear the the childrens museum in Indy is AWESOME! They have the biggest one in the Country. I think we are going to try and check it out this weekend on our Family Anniversary trip.

But now that I have also written a book, I will cover the rest of this on my blog! :)

2:00 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Sandy,
I will be looking into some websites like that. I already found a couple. History is something I didn't really get into until after college. I read the "Dear America" books which are like diarys written by fictional characters during historical events. They were very good.

Both subjects are a little more interesting this week. In Science we are doing the sun/moon/stars so we got some more books from the library and checked out constellations online ect...

Jamie,
Have your sewing stuff ready next month, I will be happy to help you out!

Genevieve,
We are headed to see family in Mississippi and Florida. We will be taking our time there and back and will check out Kentucky, Alabama and Tennessee.

Risa,
That Children's Museum sounds awesome. I hope you guys make it there.

Queen Linda,
I used to be on your messageboard, but stopped posting due to time contraints :D

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home