Tuesday, August 31, 2004

At least ask sombody who knows...

Another homeschooler pointed me to this artice in CNN:

It basically sums up the fact that homeschooling is a growing movement (up 29% since 1999). However, it ends like every other homeschooling article in the main stream media with that tired old question about "socialization". This particular article ends with a quote by Ted Feinberg, assistant executive director of the National Association of School Psychologists.

"At some point, children are going to have to interact with the rest of the world," he said. "If they haven't had the opportunity to build their emotional muscles so they have that capacity to interact, how effective are they going to be outside their cloistered environment?"

Clearly, this man has not spent much time with homeschoolers. Obviously his job as a school psychologist doesn't put him in contact with them. If I could, I would introduce Mr. Feinberg to the only two people I know my age that were homeschooled (homeschooling wasn't very poplular at the time).

There is James, my former Team Leader. He finished college at the age of 19. When he came to work at the company I was working at, he was a TL within months. Not only was he the youngest TL, but the best ( I can honestly say that becuase I had almost all TLs at one time or another).

Than there is Carl, a friend of ours from college. Carl is now an engineer in the Sault. A couple years ago he was the Michigan National Guard Soldier of the Year.

On top of those accomplishments they are both husbands and fathers. I don't think anybody would argue that these two men had problems interacting with the world once they emerged from the "cloistered" environement.

Which brings my to another reason Mr. Feinberg obviously doesn't know any homeschoolers. Simply because a family decides not to send their child to a traditional school, doesn't mean they are keeping them locked in their homes! Just about every highschool age homeschooler I know either has a job or takes classes at our local college (on top of their schooling). Its not like they turn 18 and step into the world for the first time, they are already part of society.

Oh, and by the way Mr. Feinberg, I have some other people I would like you to meet. People who have trouble interacting with the world, and have never built their emotional muscles...and guess where they went to school?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home