Friday, November 17, 2006

First Appointment

This morning I had my first appointment with my midwife. It was a difficult decision to leave the OB that I have seen for three pregnancys, but now we live so much farther from his office and I have always thought a midwife would suit my philosophy so I changed. I am so glad I changed. My appointment was 2 hours. We went over all my previous pregnancys and births. When I mentioned some unanswered questions about Sammy's c-section she went into the hospital computer system and printed out a copy of his birth report and went over it with me.

Anyway, my blood pressure was already up. At this point, elevated bp is not generally related to the pregnany but most likely because she took it after we read Sammy's birth report which contained some scary stuff. I go back in two weeks to have that re-checked.

Otherwise, things look okay. I'm measuring right on for my dates and the heartrate was nice and strong. Bottom line is that i'm happy with my decision to see a midwife.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

After seeing that homebirth of my friend and the treatment she received from her midwife I am scared to go to a doctor! But there are no birthing centers here and I'm terrified to have a homebirth still. SO glad you had such a successful appointment! Will you deliver at the hospital, a birthing center or home?

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those first appointments are always so anticipated! I think you will love having a midwife. I always wanted to try one. I was very interested in having a homebirth in the water. But hubby wouldn't hear of it! I think a midwife will suit you better too!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

I should of mentioned that I will be delivering at the hospital.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are happy with your decision to change health providers. If I were ever to go and get a Master degree it would be to become a midwife. The philosphy is such an empowering point of view for the mother. Hope things continue to go well.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

I am glad you are happy with your decision! It must have been hard to leave the doctor you already know but it's great that you like the midwife so much!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

so glad to hear the appt went so well. I am glad you like her, I loved her.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Glad you like the midwife. I just loved my doctor, but I'm curious what a midwife would be like.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved my midwife! Aren't they great! And the appointments are long. They make you feel like you are the only one in the world they have to see. Mine answered all my questions when the military doctor tried to rush me out the door. I would see a midwife again in a heartbeat! I also had a homebirth and would do that again as well.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home