Thursday, November 03, 2005

West Coast Parents Beware

Yesterday the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals handed down this ruling:

We agree [with the previous ruling], and hold that there is no fundamental right of parents to be the exclusive provider of information regarding sexual matters to their children, either independent of their right to direct the upbringing and education of their children or encompassed by it. We also hold that parents have no due process or privacy right to override the determinations of public schools as to the information to which their children will be exposed while enrolled as students. Finally, we hold that the defendants' actions were rationally related to a legitimate state purpose.

Check out this article to see the survey the state gave to elementary aged students. When six parents sued over it, the above ruling is what came down.

6 Comments:

Blogger Choppzs said...

That makes me sick!! I am now going to go to Olivia's school and ask a few questions!! It really worries me that that the state feels it is the schools right to do and teach our children these things and that we as parents will have no say in it!! Homeschooling is sounding more and more like an option to me!!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Heather, I thought of you when I read since you live in California. Its even scarier if you read that article and see other comments the judge made.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I am still trying to scoop my chin up off the floor. I can not believe this. I am so glad that I don't live there anymore. I grew up in Palmdale, it makes me sick!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Wow! That's unreal, but at the same time it doesn't surprise me. I can't believe the questions they asked those kids too! My eyes bulged outta my head reading them.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Kether said...

Holy Moly I wasn't prepared for those questions. That my friends is why my children are going to private school.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, God, get us out of this state!!
I have been feeling (starting with the "preschool campaigns" that CA is really focused on taking power out of the hands of parents... SO very very sad...

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home