Tuesday, November 01, 2005

I Heart Magazines

Know what I love? Those "1 2 3 dinner" recipes in the back of Woman's Day magazine. Not being much of a cook I usually skim quickly over the recipes in magazines because they always look fancy. In the last issue the 1 2 3 recipe caught my eye and soon I was digging around for older issues to find them. They are the kind of recipes i'm always searching for, few ingredients (3!) and they are things you most likely have in your cupboard already.

I recently subscribed to Family Fun. I was reading this in the library and after finding two things to copy in the first ten pages I figured I mine as well shell out the $10 for a subscription. Afterall, those copies cost 10 cents a page.

I also just ordered a subscription to Health magazine thru a school fundraiser. I can't wait to start getting it.

Thanks to my Aunt I get Good Housekeeping (also the aforementioned Woman's Day) which I love because of the variety of subjects and the short story in the back.

Thanks to my Great Aunt the boys get Highlights and I was so excited when Isaac finally grasped the "hidden pictures" concept. I remember fighting with my siblings over who got to do those.

Thanks to my dad we have been getting Reader's Digest since we were married. Who doesn't love RD? Jeremiah skips to the humor sections first, I go right to the health section. Also, the new artwork on the back is cool.

Jeremiah subscribes to The New American, he has become a little less satisfied with it in the past couple years but hasn't found a better ultra conservative/libertarian alternative yet.

Last but not least, thanks to our church we get Christian Parenting. Although, that subscription might of ran out.

Thats it for the magazines entering our home. How about you? What magazines do you subscribe to, wish you subscribe to, or always make a point to read in the library?

11 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Wow! We have no magazine subscriptions so your list looks long to me! LOL

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I subscribe to one magazine at this point, which is International Gymnast! I have no gymnastics ability, but I love to watch it and to read about the athletes' training, lives, and goals.

When I'm waiting in waiting rooms, I'm always glad when there's a Good Housekeeping or Reader's Digest there to read. Both are full of interesting articles.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

Thanks to Chris' mom, we get Reader's Digest too! She also gets Olivia Highlights!! Naughty me loves to read the gossip mags occasionally so whenever I get the urge to buy one at the checkout counter it is usual the latest People or Us Weekly!! lol

4:36 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

We get National Geographic thanks to FIL. I laughed out loud at Jeremiah skipping to the "funnies" in the RD. I did the same thing when we got them. (my family that is, before Dan and I were married)

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to read Self, parenting, american baby, Fit, and Chris' mom gives us good house keeping. I stopped the subscriptions on all except Parents. It seemed after so many years the articles were all the same. I Love reading magazine though, they are full of tidbits one would never think of before hand.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Me said...

We get Parents and Stuff Magazine (of course that's Ryan). I had Us but it's running out. I want to get Family Circle. I liked that one!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

You're making me feel guilty, because I read trashy magazines! I get Entertainment Weekly, TV Guide, In Style, and Marie Claire. I used to get Bust (someone gave it to me as a gift) which I loved and I need to re-up. I also used to get Budget Travel (also a gift) but I didn't find the trips very budget-oriented, so I didn't renew that one.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Don't feel guilty! I should of mentioned that I always grab US or People from the free bin at the library if they are in there (which they usually aren't because so many people read them).

3:47 PM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

Oh, yeah, Us and People are great for airplane reading! I prefer Us or In Touch because it's more pictures of celebrities, and less human interest stories. I sometimes also read Paris Match or Hello! because I like royalty.

That probably makes me sound like I don't care about human interest. Not true, I just prefer to keep it separate from my celebrity gossip!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I subscribe to Christianity Today, Weekly Standard, Books and Culture, National Geographic Adventure, Trail Runner and Ultra Runner. I used to subscribe to more but I've given some up and replaced them with surfing the net. My sister just handed me a copy of Us Weekly (celebrity magazine) but I honestly don't know who most of these people are- I've heard most of their names but wouldn't recognize them if I saw them!

12:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I subscribe to Christianity Today, Weekly Standard, Books and Culture, National Geographic Adventure, Trail Runner and Ultra Runner. I used to subscribe to more but I've given some up and replaced them with surfing the net. My sister just handed me a copy of Us Weekly (celebrity magazine) but I honestly don't know who most of these people are- I've heard most of their names but wouldn't recognize them if I saw them!

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home