Monday, November 21, 2005

Cooking - The Last Frontier

I have the baking, the child-rearing, the sewing, the finances, the cleaning (sometimes) down. Now its time to tackle the cooking. I'm trying to cook something new and different at least once a week. Its not as easy as it sounds.

First of all, I am not a risk taker. I hate the thought of putting all that time, effort and money into something that my family might not even like. Its easier to go with something "safe" that I know they will eat.

Second, I am not a meal-oriented person. I am a grazer. If I lived by myself I would not prepare meals. I would eat a handful of grapes here, a few crackers with peanut butter there ect. Its quite common for me to cook a meal for the boys and not even fix a plate for myself. There is nothing wrong with grazing, in fact some studies even show its better for your blood sugar. However, I like the "family meal" feeling. I grew up eating home cooked meals around the table with my family (sometimes even breakfast), and I think thats valuable.

Third, I do not like meat. I just don't. I would be fine never touching meat. Ever. However, I live with four carnivores, and I'm sure Jonah will be too. Also, with Sammy's limited diet, meat is one of the few ways for him to get fat.

Its time for me to get past that stuff and cook. I've already tried several new recipes in the past few weeks, and it wasn't that bad.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jill Corwin said...

I am just like you with your eating habbits. Mike is always saying "why did you work at making this meal and then you don't even eat it?" I just tell him why eat if I am not hungry (because I just ate a snack)? I also could care less for meat. I eat it, but I don't really 'care' for it. Like you though, I love sitting together at the table. Many times I just have a bowl of cereal or a snack while they eat "dinner"

6:45 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one who does that!

6:50 PM  
Blogger DDanielle said...

Chad is more of the baker in our house. I don't like to make many baked goods because, I don't really have a sweet tooth. Also being only two of us in the house we tend to eat the whole batch of cookies to quickly. But he has more of a sweet tooth so he will make more of an effort. As far as cooking goes I do most of that. However, he has pitched in alot recently. What we like to do is try to immitate things we eat at restaruants. That way you aren't taking as much of a risk. Its hard to get Chad to agree to something new. We have been trying to perfect pizza. Most of the time I make the dough the night before. It doesn't take us long at all now, but we work together and it makes it fun. We also love Thai food and chad loves Indian food. So I experiment with those dishes, stir fry type of dishes are hard to screw up.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Gary &amp said...

I don't have a big family (just Gary and I) so, if he is not here for lunch or something, I just eat chips or something like that hehehe

1:55 PM  
Blogger Genevieve said...

I live by myself, but I like to experiment with cooking. I try to invite a friend or 2 over every week or so to test out new recipes on them. Last night, Erika got to try a new recipe for flank steak.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

I am one of those adventurous cookers too, I love to try new things. But it does suck when you try something and nobody likes it!! lol I also love to bake, but am more of a cooker. But you wont ever catch me trying to sew or knit or anything of that nature, that stuff I REALLY suck at!! lol

12:29 AM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

Oh and I wanted to ask you, with your viral version of pink eye, did you do anything for the boys?? Any natural tears eye drops or anything?? I have come to realize this is the kind we have, luckily not the kind we had before, and we are not getting the swollen eyes or huge amounts of green boogers like before. Our eyes are just a little pink, itchy and feel like they have dirt in them. They are also kind of watery and runny. I called a nurse line and they told me it was viral and the antibiotics the doc gave wont do any good anyways (thank goodness we never filled the prescription just used the sample)but just keep hands washed and it will pass on it's own like a cold. It sucks though because tomorow is T-day and we don't want to have the other kids come over because we are afraid they might get it too!! Sucky day for us!!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Me said...

If I do any cooking or baking, it's baking. With only Ryan and I, I never get to cook, and it's even more difficult w/ him working 2nd shift and me 1st. I think I'd like it if given the chance. We never did the "around the table" eating growing up. That's all the more reason for me to want to do it w/ my family.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Heather,
We didn't do anything at all. It didn't last long at all.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home