Saturday, April 02, 2005

Book Review Time

I thought I would do some reviews on the books I have read in the last month or so.

First I read The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I read the special edition that contains beautiful photographs of the paintings, buildings and other artifacts mentioned in the book. As a novel, it is a great, page-turning mystery. However, the author states many controversial things about early Christianity, Jesus, Constantine, and Mary Magdalene. Which is why I read Truth and Fiction in The Da Vinci Code by Bart D. Eherman afterwards, and I would recommend that anybody who is tempted to believe all (or even most) things that Dan Brown states in his novel read it also.

A while back on Sandy's friend Jenn's website, I heard about The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. Since I recently read Jane Eyre, this book sounded interesting. I'm so glad I heard about this book! It was so entertaining and fun to read. The heroine, Thursday Next solves crimes in an alternate universe which in some ways is very similar to our life now, in some ways very different. I will definately be checking out the rest of the Thursday Next books.

I also recently finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. In the words of Randy Jackson, it was "a'ight". Not a must read, but it wasn't hard to finish either. Its about two sisters, the younger was conceived to provide umbiblical stem cells for her sister with luekemia. It became much more than that, and she basically became a living donor for her sister. It has a very good twist at the end (something I like). However, I found lots of it to be unbelievable and there was one particular unresolved issue that didn't sit well with me.

I also re-read Anne of Green Gables for the 1oth time or so. I wish there was a way you could erase a really good book from your mind when you want to read it again, so its like your reading it for the first time. All I can say is that if you haven't read this series yet, well...what are you waiting for??

I'm always looking for a good book suggestion, so don't hold out on me if you have one! :D

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though I'm very familiar with the Anne of Green Gables stories (have seen the movies), I have never read the books. Since I'm dreaming of a trip to Prince Edward Island in a year or two, I should definitely read those books soon!

Sandy

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though I'm familiar with the Anne of Green Gables stories (have seen the movies), I have never read the books. Can you believe that? Since I'm dreaming of a trip to Prince Edward Island in a year or two, I should definitely read those books soon!

Sandy

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for the double post! I typed this first over the weekend, and it never appeared, so I tried again -- and now both are there! Goofy internet. :-)

Sandy

8:22 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

The blogger comments having been doing weird things lately. I notice some of my comments have done the same thing on other blogs.

I can't believe you haven't read the series! As good as the movies are, the books are waaay better. I would love to go to PEI someday.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Kether said...

The Anne books are some of my favorites! In fact, when I found out I was having a boy one of the first things I thought was, "can I still have him read Anne?"

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home