Sunday, August 07, 2005

Birthstory for all you birthstory junkies.

More pics: http://www.geocities.com/amleko/Jonah.html

Minus the 45 minutes of pitocin induced labor that I had, it was my easiest and least complicated birth. I started having contractions on Thursday night, they were pretty strong and close enough to wake me up every 15 minutes but they just would not pick up a regular rythem. I went all day Friday and Friday night like this, strong contractions but not close enough to be "labor". We showed up at the hospital 8:00 a.m and it took about an hour to get things ready, including two failed iv attempts (ouch!) before they finally called iv therapy. My doctor came in and checked me and found that I was 3 cm, 80 percent effaced and the baby had moved down even further since my appointment. So we started the pitocin at around 9:07. Forty minutes later I was asking her to shut off the pitocin, it was so intense and the contractions seemed to last forever. 8 minutes later she did shut it off because Jonah was not handling them well judging by his heartbeat. Finally, I got my epidural and my doctor checked me again and found I was 8 cm already! So in 48 minutes I went from 3 to 8. With my epidural now, I was totally comfortable and just relaxed for the next couple hours while I finished dilating and "laboring down" (fully dilated, but not pushing to just allow the baby to move down). A little after noon I started to push and was quickly dismayed to find that he was not coming any easier than his brothers. After and hour plus of pushing they got out the forceps (which I didn't even know about at the time). However, my wonderful nurse saved the day. She put up a bar and wraped a sheet around it and had me pull on the sheet while I pushed. For some reason that did the trick and he really started moving and out he came soon after. I was surprised at how small he was, I really expecting much bigger. I was also surprised at all the dark hair he has! So anyways, just 4.5 hours start to finish!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great photos! I love the three big brother photos on your website. Congrats again! Enjoy baby Jonah.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Amie- He is so beautiful. Those are cute shots with the boys holding him. I hope my labor is only 4.5 hours, you lucky duck! Anyway, congratulations again.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Choppzs said...

Yes, Congratulations again!! Your pictures are so cute and he is such a sweet baby! I also hope my labor is only 4.5 hrs. Both kids were 12 and 18 hrs. so I am keeping my fingers crossed for an easy one this time!!!

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How adorable! Look at those proud big brothers:) Glad to hear that you had your best birth yet- and such a short time! Congratulations!

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is just ADORABLE!!!!!! What a perfect baby boy! Congratulations!

You have a fantastic famuily there! Enjoy them!

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, your so fourtunate to have 4 healthy little boys. I hope Jonah brings you so much joy as well as a good little playmate for the older boys. They look so lovely sitting on your bed together. Enjoy your new blessing!!

7:07 AM  
Blogger ~cjoy said...

Congratulations...!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the photos. Congrats again on Jonah's arrival. I don't know how you are able to blog so soon, with four children let alone a new born. You are an inspiration. Keep sending pictures and updates!

10:27 AM  
Blogger DDanielle said...

Congrats Amie! I was thinking Jonah as a possible name. The pictures are really cute with the boys.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Me said...

He is just positively precious!! Congratulations again!!

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! A home full of boys is a wonderful thing!!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Carbon said...

Congrats to your new addition. I've been coming to your site off and on. Hope baby is good to you :)

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So great to read up on your news about Baby Jonah Benjamin! A positively gorgeous name! Your birth story was good to read... I have about 5 weeks to go before my Elijah's a big brother (!!) and I pray that I will end up with a similar VBAC story!!!... Good on you. Enjoy your precious boys. Naomi ( naomi1970@iprimus.com.au )

3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home